Laser Skin Rejuvination
What areas are suitable?
1. Facial Wrinkles
As a general rule, fine and medium wrinkles can be totally removed but deep wrinkles that reach deeper than the level of the resurfacing can only be made shallower. Nevertheless, the overall reduction in number and depth of wrinkles is usually quite dramatic.
Please note that deep facial grooves and furrows e.g. nasolabial grooves (‘smile lines’) or deep ‘frown lines’ cannot be removed by any resurfacing procedure and are more suited to other treatments such as Dermal Fillers and Anti-Wrinkle Injections.
2. Facial Sun-Damaged manifested by:
- freckles and brown blotches
- mottled pigmentation
- skin roughness and dullness
- scaly sunspots
3. Acne Scarring
Some acne scar shapes respond better to Laser Resurfacing than others. Our doctor will assess your suitability at your initial consultation. Please note that if you have been taking Roaccutane for acne it is essential that you have been off it for 12 months before having Laser Skin Resurfacing.
4. Chronically Sun-Damaged Lips (Actinic Cheilitis)
This condition resembles ‘chapped’ lips and carries a risk of cancerous change if left untreated. Accordingly, it is important to treat this condition early before any cancerous changes develop.
5. Miscellaneous Skin Lesions including:
- seborrheic keratoses
- brown ‘age spots’
- epidermal naevi
- benign skin tumours e.g. syringomas
- selected biopsy-proven superficial skin cancers
What improvements can you realistically expect from Laser Skin Resurfacing?
- Overall, a markedly rejuvenated skin appearance in the form of improved skin texture, radiant skin and smoother skin to the touch.
- Reduction of wrinkles: Fine and medium-depth wrinkles can be totally removed but deep wrinkles that reach deeper than the level of the resurfacing can only be made shallower, not totally removed.
- A variable degree of skin tightening especially under the eyes.
- Reduced numbers of skin lesions such as freckles, lentigines, seborrheic keratoses and sunspots.
- Improvement of acne scarring: Laser Skin Resurfacing is also of benefit in selected cases of acne scarring, the degree of improvement depending on the shape and depth of the acne scars.
How long will the improvement last?
This depends on you, your lifestyle and future sun exposure. Generally, the more you avoid sun exposure and use effective UV protection when sun exposure is unavoidable, the longer the results of Laser Skin Resurfacing will last. With good UV protection, the results should last 5-10 years. As with other forms of skin resurfacing, the procedure can be repeated if and when desired.